Friday 1 April 2011

Contents Page

From looking at other indie/rock magazines their contents pages seems quite plain but very crowded so I decided keep my background white and have my theme colours, my first step was to create headers for my different factors so using photo shops shape tool I created to along the top of the page where the word 'contents' was to go, 3 slightly smaller rectangles which was to have 'Regulars', 'specials', and 'exclusives' as three main parts, a minor mistake I have made personally is that I haven't included every page that would be in your average magazine but looking through NME I notice they do this too so hopefully this won't be a down point. Finally I added another page long to signal the end of the page and for design purposes.

For my second step I added the word 'Contents' in between the two black lines I had created, along with the issue number, a common trait I had seen in other magazines. I used the same font, Rockwell to continue my theme and again used red as the colour, on the right hand side of that I added the issue number, I made it smaller font-wise to emphasise the word 'contents' after this I added three photos that interlink with what I was writing in for my contents, by using a separate photo editor I edited one of the photos to have rounded edges so that the page wasn't too basic, I placed the pictures evenly around the page so I avoided any clogging up. After this I was ready to add the main body text.

When adding the text and page numbers I decided to again use the theme colours black and red, which I think was a good choice for they contrast together and on top of the white background, a few times I had to alter the sizes for they won't fitting in the space I had given for each part, yet with the way I have alligned them I think they look very professional, I especially like the way I have the 'Exclusives' inbetween the photos without it looking cramped. I thought I was fnished at this point but I felt like there was too much blank space, so wasn't entirely sure what to put, so I looked back at Q magazine and saw they had a letter from the magazines editor, so decided to feature one in my own, I used a small black font and made it very informal so it would interact with readers, I used a blue italic font for the name to make it as if it was a signature, and in red gave the job title of who was writing the letter. After complettint this I still felt it was too plain, so using the shape tool I placed a rectangle, using the fill tool I made it red for contrast, then again using white font featuring my competition again.

No comments:

Post a Comment